Rob Hudson

Coolmine R.F.C. 10

Tallaght R.F.C. 2nds 12

Tries: Rob Hudson, Karl Segrave
Con: Daryl Keogh

Dr Kieran Foley Cup (J5) – Group B

Tallaght’s 2nd team travlled to Blanchardstown to take on Coolmine in the second match of the Dr Kieran Foley Cup. Tallaght played into the wind in the first half and with the constant rain, it was difficult to retain the ball. After 25 minutes Coolmine opened the scoring with an unconverted try. They added another shortly after to lead 10-0. However Tallaght fought back when scrum-half Rob Hudson made a great break to get his team into the Coolmine twenty two. When the ball was recycled, Hudson sniped through for a fine try. Daryl Keogh converted the try which made the half-time score 10-7 to Coolmine.

With the wind at their backs in the second half Tallaght began to dominate possession. However they struggled to turn it into points. Both Tony McManus and Karl Segrave got the ball over the line but in both cases the tries were disallowed for infractions. Tallaght earned themselves a penalty to level the scores but Keogh’s kick came back off the post. With time nearly up Tallaght had one more chance from a scrum five metres out from the Coolmine line. Out-half Stephen Heaney lofted up a crossfield kick and Hudson jumped and palmed the ball back to Segrave who took it in the air but managed to ground it coming down. He injured himself in the process but his bravery was rewarded as the try was given. Keogh’s conversion attempt hit the bar again which meant Tallaght had to see out a nervy final two minutes. But they defended well and saw out the match to earn a deserved victory.

Director of rugby Luke Tyrrell was delighted with his team’s application. “We made life hard for ourselves at the breakdown where we were turned over too many times. But we worked very hard and kept our heads to come back stongly, despite the difficult conditions. I was delighted with the contribution of our new players. I particularly want to mention Daniel Pomares who played with real plysicality and Daryl Keogh in midfield who made a real positive contribution on the ball. The man of the match goes to Kevin Quinn, who had to swap shifts to play this match. He put in a massive eighty minutes for us, constantly carrying the fight to Coolmine. After two away wins, we now have the Ravens at home next week to top the pool.”

Daniel Pomares

Man of the match: Kevin Quinn

Tallaght 2nds

15. Alan Bernes
14. John Cowan
13. Daryl Keogh
12. Gavin McKeon (Captain)
11. Karl Segrave
10. Stephen Heaney
9. Rob Hudson

1. Alan Sower
2. Stephen Kelly
3. Arran O’Loughlin
4. Ed O’Brien
5. Paul Savage
6. Mick Burke
7. Kevin Quinn
8. Daniel Pomares


16. Tony O’Loughlin
17. Dave Clarke
18. Tony McManus
19. Kevin Ennis
20. Kevin Meehan
21. Luke Tyrrell


Photos: Anne Kavanagh
Report: Jim O’Connor


Daryl Keogh

Ste Heaney